Non-Resident Property Rights Voting

Become familiar with the governing of property rights in Jefferson County.


Pursuant to T.C.A. § 2-2-107(3): Notwithstanding any provision of the law to the contrary, if a municipal charter provides for property rights voting, no more than two (2) persons shall be entitled to vote based upon the ownership of an individual tract of property regardless of the number of property owners.

What this code is referring to is that in Tennessee, if you own property within the city limits of a city that allows for non-resident property rights voting in its charter, but you do not actually live within that particular city limit, you still have the right to participate in that city’s municipal election, provided you properly register that specific property with the Election Commission.

So, for example: I could live in the city of White Pine and own a piece of property within the city limits of Jefferson City and be able to vote in both city elections, provided I have properly registered my Jefferson City property with the Jefferson County Election Commission Office. You have to register that specific piece of city property with the Election Commission Office in order to have the ability to vote on its behalf. IT IS NOT AUTOMATICALLY DONE JUST BECAUSE YOU OWN THE PROPERTY!   IT IS YOUR RESPOSIBILITY TO REGISTER IT!

In Jefferson County we currently have 5 municipalities: Baneberry, Dandridge, Jefferson City, New Market and White Pine. All of these municipalities, with the exception of Baneberry, have provisions within their charters to allow for non-resident property rights voting. Baneberry DOES NOT allow for non-resident property rights voting. Dandridge, Jefferson City, New Market, and White Pine DO HAVE provisions within their charter to allow for non-resident property rights voting.

To register for non- resident property rights voting on a specific piece of property you must complete a registration form for that property (separate from your regular registration) and provide the Jefferson County Election Commission Office with a copy of your recorded deed for your city property.

You may register in person at the Election Commission Office located in the lower level of the Health Department Building, located at 931 Industrial Park Road; Dandridge, TN 37725. Our office hours are Monday – Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

You can also register by mail by sending your registration application, properly filled out, and a copy of your recorded warranty deed to the Jefferson County Election Commission Office; P.O. Box 177; Dandridge, TN 37725.

If you need additional information, please call (865) 397-3440.

Charles R. Gibson

Administrator of Elections for Jefferson County