Do genealogy research?
Jefferson County Archives Mission Statement: The primary mission focus of the Archives is to restore and preserve the historical documents. Secondly our mission is to assist visitors to the county in search of their family heritage, and to be available to the county officials who need research accomplished.
The Jefferson County Archives opened for business January 2, 1997 by a resolution of the Jefferson County Records Commission. The office is located in room 203 of the courthouse with access to two vaults which contain many boxes of loose documents. The office is open Monday through Friday 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Seventeen volunteers are on staff with each one serving one day per week. Each staff member has a specific responsibility, such as unfolding and cleaning loose records or indexing and scanning images into the computer. Marriage indexes have been computerized from 1792-1994 for ready reference. Visitors from across the United States travel to Jefferson County in search of family ancestors.
The following resources are available for family research:
* Jefferson County Marriages (Bonds & Licenses) 1792-Present
* Jefferson County Deeds 1792-1951 Microfilm
* Jefferson County Wills 1792-1995 Microfilm
* Jefferson County Court Minutes 1792-1996 Microfilm
* Jefferson County Circuit Court Minutes 1809-1994 Microfilm
* Jefferson County Chancery Court Minutes 1836-1995 Microfilm
* Jefferson County Tax Records 1822-1988 (except for years of 1837- 1844; 1873)
* Jefferson County Birth Certificates 1908-1912 Microfilm
* Jefferson County Death Certificates 1908-1925 Microfilm
* North Carolina Land Grants Microfilm
* Tennessee Land Grants Microfilm
* WPA records of Jefferson County Microfilm
* Family Files & Books
* Jefferson County Civil War Claims Book
* Jefferson County Ration cards (1943) Book
* Cemeteries of Jefferson & adjoining counties Books
Other county offices are available for legal research.
The volunteer staff will receive requests via e-mail but will reply by U. S. Postal Mail.
The address for the archives is:
Jefferson County Archives
P.O. Box 1193
Dandridge, TN 37725
e-mail address: email@example.com.