The county mayor is the Chief Executive Officer who performs many duties for our citizens. The county mayor serves as a non-voting, ex-officio member of each committee of the county legislative body and of each board, commission, or authority of the county government. The county mayor appoints members of county boards, commissions, and department heads subject to confirmation by the legislative body. The county mayor has the care and custody of all county property and may enter into letters of agreement with the county fee officials regarding the number of deputies and assistants and their salaries. The mayor may also examine the accounts of the county officers to verify each item of expenditure or revenue.
Mark Potts is serving his first term as Mayor of Jefferson County which began on September 1, 2018. Mayor Potts was born and raised in Jefferson County, to Glenn and Betty Potts. He grew up in the Swannsylvania community, where his family has lived for almost 200 years.
Mark served Jefferson City as Mayor for 8 years and Vice-Mayor for 4 years. Mayor Potts brings experience, integrity, and dedication to the office while honoring our small-town values. The Mayor is working diligently to bring job growth, quality education, enhanced quality of life, and a unified Jefferson County. Mark has been instrumental in the recent growth in the county and works cooperatively with the municipalities creating economic development.
- Jefferson County High School graduate
- University of Tennessee at Knoxville, Marketing
- Carson Newman University; Jefferson City, TN: Bachelor of Arts
- Southern Baptist Theological Seminary; Louisville, KY: Master of Divinity, and Doctor of Ministry
- Walters State Community College; Morristown, TN: Paramedic
- Paramedic/Supervisor: 1997-2018
- Lakeway Area Metropolitan Planning Transportation Organization (LAMPTO) Chair: 2011-Present
- East Tennessee Development District (ETDD) Treasurer: 2018–Present
- East Tennessee Human Resource Agency (ETHRA) Treasurer: 2018–2019
- East Tennessee Human Resource Agency (ETHRA) Secretary: 2019–present
- East Tennessee Regional Agribusiness Marketing Authority Vice-Chairman: 2018-Present
- Graduate of Leadership Jefferson County and East Tennessee Regional Leadership
Office Manager/Chief of Staff
In addition to aiding the Mayor, Mrs. Voiles functions as a liaison between various departments and agencies. Mrs. Voiles provides oversight in the daily operations of the Mayor’s Office as well as assisting with operational functions concerning other officials. Mrs. Voiles provides support and scheduling for the Mayor and other officers responsible to the Mayor’s Office. Mrs. Voiles has served in this capacity for 12 years.
Mayor’s Assistant, CNU Intern
Ms. Fletcher is the Mayor’s Carson Newman senior intern/assistant. She performs administrative duties while serving as the assistant for the Mayor, assisting with scheduling, administrative duties, meetings, and other special projects. Ms. Fletcher began working with the Mayor’s Office in March of 2019 and will continue until May of 2020.
Director of Facilities and Safety
Mr. Longmire has served the office of the Mayor daily for 12 years. He and his staff are responsible for:
- Maintenance, upkeep, and janitorial duties of all county property
- Reserving rooms for meetings and functions within county buildings
- All TOSHA, OSHA, ADA, and Title VI logs, records, and requirements
- Capital improvements to county properties
- Communicating and partnership with the Facilities Committee