Tax List - 1890
Tax List for Jefferson County Tennessee for the Year 1890
Since there is no 1890 census for Jefferson County, the 1890 county tax roll was indexed to give a partial list of county residents. This list has serious limitations, since only those who paid county tax are listed, including a poll tax that was collected from white males who did not own property.
The list is organized by surname and includes the following information:
- The name of the tax payer.
- The Civil District in which the property is located.
- Poll Tax which might indicate the property where the family was living.
- The number of acres taxed and the value.
- The number of Town Lots owned and their value.
- The page and line where the name is recorded. Because the book contains the years 1888 to 1890, the pages start at 189.
Information in the Tax Book but not included is:
- Surnames of adjacent property owners.
- Value of Personal Property and Other Property.
- The amount of each separate tax that was levied, i.e. State, County, Highway Cash, Highway Work.
Since the boundaries of the Civil Districts changed from time to time (in 1890 there were 19, the highest number ever), below is a map of the Civil Districts 1874-1890.
The alphabetic links at right point to tables of the 1890 tax list index, sorted according to last name.