To vote by-mail, a registered voter must meet certain requirements.
A registered voter may request an application for a by-mail ballot no earlier than ninety days before the election and no later than 7 days before the election. To be processed for the next election, the application must be received by the election commission no later than 7 days before the election. Each request time period is outlined below. Your request cannot be processed if not received within these dates.
For the March 3, 2020, PPP and County Primary-Absentee ballot must be requested between December 4, 2019, and February 25, 2020.
For the August 6, 2020, General/ Fed and State Primary-Absentee ballot must be requested between May 8, 2020, and July 30, 2020.
For the November 3, 2020, Fed and State General/City Elections-Absentee ballot must be requested between August 5, 2020, and October 27, 2020.
Note: The request must be in office before the day of, not postmarked by day.
*******There are multiple ways to request an absentee ballot for a particular election as outlined below*******
- Call us at 865-397-3440 or come by and request us to send you the absentee ballot request. Sign it and check the appropriate party preference (if applicable to a Primary Election) and mail the request back to the Jefferson County Election Commission.
- If you are not in the military or not an out of country US Citizen, you can use the fillable on-line Regular Absentee Request: Aug 6, 2020 Request for Application for Absentee. Print it out, sign it and return it to the Jefferson County Election Commission.
- If you are in the military or are an out of country US Citizen, you will use the Military/Overseas Ballot (FPCA Form 76). Either of the following links can be used. One is for first time users which will take you to the FVAP site and walks you through filling out the form. If you are already familiar with the Form 76 then you can use the (repeat user) link. The completed FPCA form 76 form will act as a request for all elections to be held in the upcoming election cycle. You will have to print the form after completing it, sign it, and mail to the Jefferson County Election Commission. Postage is not necessary for military applicants but you will need to use the Military Postage Template provided with the form.
- If you do not choose to use the request form above, you may also request a by-mail absentee ballot, through mail, fax, or email with an attached document, which includes “your actual scanned signature” and the following information directly to your local county election commission office:
- Name of the registered voter.
- Address of the voter’s residence.
- Voter’s social security number.
- Voter’s date of birth.
- Address to mail the ballot outside the county (this applies only when the reason for voting by mail involves that the voter will be outside of the county during early voting and on Election Day)
- The election in which the voter wishes to participate. If the election involves a primary, the political party in which the voter wishes to participate.
- Reason the voter wishes to vote absentee. (must meet certain requirements) If applicable, a copy of the CDL containing the CDL number or the TWIC card must be included in the voter’s request.
- Voter’s signature.
A request that contains this information will be processed and a ballot will be mailed to the voter. You must check to see if you meet the qualifications under the certain requirements tab in order for us to process the request. The request must contain your actual signature in order to process. If the necessary requirements are not completed then the request will be rejected.
Your request needs to be mailed to the Jefferson County Election Commission, PO Box 177, Dandridge, TN 37725
Or: Emailed to Elections@jeffersoncountytn.gov.